How does ITT’s tech loan forgiveness closure impact federal Direct Loan limitations?

If you’re a first-time borrower on or after Dominion Day , 2013, there’s a limit on the utmost period of your time (measured in academic years) that you simply can receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. this point limit doesn’t apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to you, you’ll not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for quite 150 percent of the published length of your program.

There also are limits on the quantity in subsidized and unsubsidized loans that you simply simply could also be eligible to receive each school year (annual loan limits) and therefore the total amounts that you may borrow for undergraduate and graduate study (aggregate loan limits).

If you apply for and receive a closed school loan discharge, the discharged loan will not count against your 150% subsidized loan usage period or your annual and aggregate loan limits.

However, if you transfer credits towards the completion of a comparable program at another institution and don’t receive a closed school loan discharge of the loans due to your ITT program of study, those loans will still count towards your 150% subsidized loan usage period and your annual and aggregate loan limits. The law that governs the William D. Ford Federal loan (Direct Loan) Program doesn’t give ED the authority to exclude loans that aren’t discharged.

No, students are hospitable explore all options and choose the institution and program that’s right for them. If you’re curious about transferring your credits to a different institution, you ought to contact that institution to verify that they’re going to accept the credits you earned at ITT.

Another great interim option would be an Income-Based Repayment program. The benefit of an IBR is that it’s based strictly on what you earn. It allows for a more affordable monthly payment capped at 10-15% of your discretionary income. Also, an IBR program offers the long-term benefit of student loan forgiveness after 20-25 years of payments. The period depends on when they took the loan. Currently, under IBR programs, amounts forgiven are also treated as taxable income.

If you were attending ITT when it shut down on Sept. 6, 2016, or you withdrew from an ITT Technical Institute on or after May 6, 2016, you have another option. You can transfer earned credits to another institution to continue your education in an equivalent program. Borrowers who are current ITT students, recent graduates, and students who withdrew in the past 120 days can transfer their credits according to the offer by the U.S. Department of Education:

Transfer your credits

If you want to continue your program of study, the U.S. Department of Education is connecting you with community colleges who will transfer over ITT Tech credits.

However, if students opt for this option, they may not be eligible for a closed school discharge on their student loans. Instead, you might want to keep the credits from ITT and transfer them to a similar program in another school.

If you do transfer into a related program offered by another school, that school will evaluate your ITT coursework. It will decide whether to give you credit for already completed works. Also what courses you need to take to complete your program of study.

The Education Department is working with ITT officials and representatives from the state and postsecondary education oversight organizations, to process student records from the 136 schools. So that transfer schools could start evaluating students’ remaining qualifications for Federal Student Aid funds.

ITT will take responsibility for any return of federal student aid funds. The Department will work with ITT officials to make sure the loan funds are restored for future eligibility. If you transfer the credits toward a similar program and you completed or are going to finish that program, you will not be eligible to receive a closed school loan discharge.

We encourage you not to pay for companies for student loan forgiveness or consolidation programs that your federal loan servicer provides for free, on behalf of the Education Department. Your loan servicer, the companies that collect your payments, can also support you with these goals for free of charge. If you need help with your student loans, you should contact your servicer, because you never need to pay for these services.

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *